People frequently ask me: What are the most important things you need to know to get and keep a job. I have put together this brief list specifically designed for teens although the same concepts are useful at any age. There is much more information in the book, interactive exercises and real-world examples that will help you not only with getting a job but also with getting into college and being successful in your career and your life.
The 12 things that will help you get and keep job:
1. Pick a job you want to do.
2. Do research about that job to find out what it requires and places in town that could offer the kind of job you want.
3. Put together a resume highlighting your skills (Hint: you can do this even if you’ve never had a job before! The book will tell you how.)
4. Get interviews by asking everyone you know (teachers, parents, parents of friends, etc.). Call the companies that have the kinds of job you want and find out how to apply for a job there.
5. For the interview, dress up: no flip-flops, shorts, mini-skirts, torn pants, etc.
6. At the interview: show up on time, have a positive attitude, answer questions clearly, ask your own questions and be interested.
7. Be willing to accept an internship without pay to learn more. Internships often lead to paid jobs.
8. Follow up after the interview with a call, email (NOT a text) or a letter (typed).
9. When you get the job: Show up on time and dress like you did at the interview. If the style of the company is more casual, you can dress down later.
10. If you don’t understand something you are asked to do, ASK QUESTIONS.
11. Turn your phone off and don’t text or call anyone until your lunch hour or after work. You have a job! You need to pay attention to that and learn as much as you can.
12. Try to learn as much as you can and do your job well. If you don’t, you won’t just get a bad grade; you will get fired!
If you have questions you’d like answered about How to Get and Keep a Job, just leave them in a comment below and I will try to answer them.